Caregiver Blog, News Feeds, Video Feeds, Useful Links

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Got Questions about Senior Care? Ask a Long Term Care Ombudsman

When people are thinking of moving to a long term care facility they ask "Where do you go for help?" , "Who will answer your questions?", "How do you proceed if something just doesn't seem right?" For answers you can call your local ombudsman. This person is there to help.

The ombudsman is a person who visits the local long term care homes, talks with the residents, investigates complaints, resolves safety issues, and is an advocate for quality care. Counseling and assistance for families are available from the local ombudsman. Referrals to resources and community support groups as well as information about local nursing homes are some more services provided by an ombudsman.

I went to the website for my local ombudsman in San Luis Obispo County, California, but you can search for an ombudsman in your area by going to

The page for local services in my area said "Long Term Care Ombudsman Services are available to help. Give us a call."

When friends and acquaintances call me to ask what to do involving long term care for their parents I refer them to the local ombudsman. In San Luis Obispo the number is (805) 785-0132, and the office is located at 3232 S. Higuera St., #101 B, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401.

No comments: